Saturday, August 29, 2009

First Post

Medicine is a science of uncertainty and an art of probability.
- William Osler (1849–1919)


TO any one reading this...

Thanks for coming back to check out the first post of Results May Vary. Fitting to its name, I'm sure this journal will transform and metamorphose along with my varying interests, studies, and fancies over the ensuing years. Its essence and purpose, however, is to serve as captain's log through the uncharted waters of medical school and beyond. Three weeks into my first year, I'm already absorbing more knowledge more quickly than I ever thought I could. Cell cycle regulators, transcription factors, enzymes that add phosphates and those that remove them, cascades of signaling proteins with one arrow leading to another and another and another... until the last arrow points to a question mark. We've reached the end. The limit of knowledge. But I think, for a young doctor, that therein lies the secret: how you manage the unknown is much more important than how you mange the known--because patients rarely hand you multiple choice lists. To that idea, then, this series is dedicated; and I hope you'll join me as I continue to explore the vast world around me, and figure out how very little I really know.

Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment